Coconut burfi, an Indian sweet made with just 2 major ingredients coconut and sugar. Cardamom and ghee adds taste and aroma.15- minutes coconut ladoo(Short-cut),Besan ladoo, Til Chikki, Diamond cuts are few of the other recipes u will find here with step by step pics.
Coconut burfi and other sweets n snacks were usually made around Dasserah, Diwali time at my grandmom's place and stacked in her precious ever-silver dabbas. And by now you know how she guarded the specialties churned out from that kitchen.The aroma of burfi making time is always unbearable ...one could simply sniff ....but no use ..cos prasads were given only after the pooja. :)) But I must admit its worth the wait well those were the best sweets I have eaten till date.
Coconut - 2 grated
Sugar- 1- 1and 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Cardamom 4 powdered freshly
Cashew nut - 10 to 12
Ghee - 1 + tbsp
Coconut bits - few for decoration
Note: Use mature and aged coconut, avoid soft tender ones for best results.
- Grate each half of coconut only till it is about to reach the brown part. We need the pure white part only.
- Dry roast the coconut grated on lowest heat until it becomes crisp but ensure the color should remain white.Make sure no moisture is remaining on the coconut.
- Grease a tray with ghee and keep it ready. (I usually line the tray with Al. foil and grease that so its easier to pull out from the tray and slice )
- Powder the cardamom with a tsp of sugar and keep it closed till used.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee fry the cashew first to light golden break into bits if u like. Fry the coconut until crisp but maintain the white color in a low flame.Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add water bring it to a boil and add the sugar lower the heat stir until its dissolved, *now stir intermittently only and allow this to become syrupy nice one string consistency. Add the cardamom powder stir then add the coconut dry roasted.Keep stirring and do not let the bottom brown. Add the remaining ghee and cashew nut too.When the mixture leaves sides and comes to a sticky consistency (takes only 3-4 minutes) pour the mixture into the tray immediately.(Work fast from here)Level the top with a silicone spatula this ensures smooth top.
- Mark the squares with a sharp knife slightly deep and place the coconut bits and press gently. Allow the coconut burfi to cool and firm up for 10 minutes it then cut out the squares completely.
- Store it in an air tight container on the counter up to a week.
The correct texture of coconut burfi :
The burfi should not be rock hard like chikki nor soft and squishy. It should be firm and hold the shape well and break off easily when u bit into it.
Burfi not setting?
If the burfi mixture is past the setting stage and all the moisture is gone then it will remain crumbly and will not set well when cool.
Solution - Sprinkle some water return it to the pan on a low heat when it comes to a sticky stage remove and reset the burfi on the tray.
If the burfi mixture is has a lot of moisture and not forming a lump and is soggy even after cooling down then it means you have stirred for too long and broken the sugar bond.
Solution - Dry roast 1-2 tbsp of coconut separately like earlier till crisp add this to the mixture return it to the pan on a low heat when most of the moisture has dried up add a tbsp of sugar as soon as the mixture is sticky reset the burfi on the tray.
*Use a non stick pan for making burfee.