I am not done with mangoes this season for that matter can I ever get tired of eating mangoes asks my daughter.True, the craving is sometimes beyond words.
A decade ago, one summer daughty and I were at our relative's country house on a vacation . A place tucked far away from the din and bustle of the city. Not one roof or prying eyes of neighbors obstructing the view,once the gate is crossed there were trees, trees and more trees, fields and a pond. Inside the house awaits the most beloved pleasing aunty, maids sweeping and mopping the whole place two times a day and every piece of laundry washed immediately after one changed. The only noise that disrupts would be perhaps from occasional coconuts falling and that too arrived in glasses as fresh coconut water....overall a beautiful calm and serene place for one to relax and write a poetry.
Aunty lovingly called all of us 'kutty' (small child) inspite of how old, paunch bellied or bald some of us were.:) She ensured we were comfortable and her only rule was - no rules.I enjoyed every bit of staying with them. While all the kids there were busy over feeding the fish with fish feed, plucking flowers from the garden and putting flowers arrangement on the doorway, I was trying every variety of mango from their orchards.The glutton in me simply could not resist the hospitality . I was in a mango induced coma after two days and then my body gave up on me. By the time we reached back home I was completely cleansed off , of all impurities my body would have accumulated in years :) ..While the fish did not survive the over eating trauma I did .My husband had his classic grin on his face to greet . He summed it up for me "a vacation well spent!"
Recipe courtesy : here
Ripe Mangoes - 2
Honey - 1/4 cup
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
- Puree the mango pulp in really smooth consistency in a blender and add honey and lime juice.Mix well.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper spread the puree evenly with a rubber spatula .Use one more baking sheet if the mangoes are large and u have excess.Then spread layer should be neither thick nor thin.
- Preheat oven to 140 F or lower if possible and keep the baking tray on the top rack. You may have to switch off oven in between if u feel it is drying too fast. (The original recipe says it takes 7-8 hours for me it took only 2 hours ( even though I kept settings at lowest the oven was over heating.)
- The intention is to dry the pulp for few hours until it is not sticky anymore but flexible.
- Peel off the parchment paper cut the leather into pieces.Roll the fruit leather into rolls in fresh parchment and store.I mean ..enjoy!
- Use pinking shears for fun edges.
Note: if you think oven drying is a waste of energy or it is too hot outside to switch on the oven then leave to air dry, it may take 2-3 days. That's how people lived before the oven was invented right :))
|fun with food - basket weave pattern with store bought candy.|
Here is another fun pic I put in Facebook to guess,thank you to all my lovely readers who took the time to respond.
Hope you liked it.