Pacha manga pachadi is usually served for sadhya in Palakkad side(Kerala).This is an age old traditional recipe.Shallot and garlic is not used in my ancestral home to make any sadhya dish as it is believed to give a non vegetarian flavor.(Sadhya is a pure vegetarian feast with many different curries ,rice and desserts everything is served on a plantain leaf )
Pachadi is one of the easiest to prepare and tastes awesome along with other spicy curries.
Pachadi / Kichadi call it any way you like :)) but try it for sure.
Raw mango- 1 medium ( slightly ripe would taste better )
Yogurt - 1 cup (sour/tart thick curd)
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Black mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Green chili - 1
Salt to taste
To season :
Coconut oil- 1 -2 tsp
Black mustard seed- 1/4 tsp
Whole red chili- 1 -2
Curry leaves- few
1.Discard the green peel and stone and cut the mango into tiny cubes(not chopped)
2.Grind the coconut and yogurt well (Don't add water).Towards the end add mustard seeds and green chili chopped and grind that too.
3.Cook the mango in 1/2 glass water and salt.Once the mango pieces becomes slightly tender reduce heat add the ground mixture and wait for it to heat up but not boil and switch off gas and immediately move it from heat else the coconut and yogurt will curdle and separate.
4. Heat oil in a pan when is hot add mustard seeds when it crackles add whole red chilies and curry leaves when it becomes crisp let it cool down for a minute then drizzle the whole thing on the cooked mango yogurt. Keep it closed and stir the curry before serving.
The pacha manga pachadi is served as a side dish along with rice.Make sure you make the pachadi towards the end of cooking as the curry becomes really sour if it is made ahead of time.
- Pachadi is should be really thick and not runny curry.
- See that the coconut does not curdle with heat and the seasoning should not be too hot that too will curdle it.
- Keep an eye while cooking mango as it can become mushy fast,here we need the pieces to retain the shape.
- Ground mustard has a different smell just to let u know .Oh !it blends well with the mangoes so don't worry about that:))
Hope u like this todukari.
Other Pachadi / Kichadi recipes: